MiDAS (Minibus Driver Awareness Scheme) is designed to make appropriate training, assessment and accreditation available for the voluntary sector organisations, local authorities, care providers and educational establishments.
POTENTIAL BENEFITS OF MiDAS
There are many potential benefits of MiDAS including:
- Enhanced passenger safety
- Improved passenger comfort
- Increase staff confidence
- Reduced stress on staff
- Potential reduction in vehicle running costs
- Potential reduction in insurance premiums
- A better image of organisation
- A better image for minibus travel
The MiDAS strategy helps to improve minibus safety by working with your organisation to enhance the driving and passenger awareness skills of staff.
OBJECTIVES OF MiDAS FOR DRIVERS
The objectivise of MiDAS for drivers are that minibus drivers will:
- Be assessed to ensure their driving skills are of an acceptable standard
- Be given help where necessary to improve their minibus driving skills
- Be aware of the legal , practical and safety issues surrounding minibus driving
- Be trained and assessed in the safe use of wheelchair accessible vehicles
- Receive a certificate that is accepted by MiDAS members
MiDAS courses for minibus drivers includes some practical elements and some classroom elements.
Standard: courses last one day.
Accessible: courses are over two days.
All drivers attend a classroom session which looks at:
- Legal requirements for minibus drivers
- Driving for safety and economy
- Passenger safety
- Child passenger safety
- Personal safety for drivers
- Breakdown, accident and emergency procedures
All drivers then undergo a driving assessment, which includes:
- Eyesight check
- Basic vehicle familiarisation
- Demonstration and commentary drive
- Driving familiarisation
- Driving assessment
If you take a accessible assessment then these additional modules will be covered:
- Passenger awareness
- Passenger assistance
- Safe use of passenger lifts and ramps
- Wheelchair and passenger restraint equipment
- Legal requirements and good practice
MiDAS training is held on the first Tuesday of every month at the depot address Thames Road Crayford.
Group training at your place of work can be arranged. Please contact for more information.
- Standard minibus: Member – £75.00
- Standard minibus : Non-member £105.00
- Accessible Minibus: Member – £95.00
- Accessible Minibus Non-members – £145.00
PASSENGER ASSISTANT TRAINING (PATS) TRAINING:
- The role of the passenger Assistant
- Legal requirements
- Child restraints
- Working with people who have disabilities
- Language Matters
- Professional etiquette
- Assisting passenger’s wo are blind or partially sighted
- Communicating with passengers who are deaf or hard of hearing
- Ramos & Lifts
- Boarding and Alighting Assisting wheelchair users
- Held the first Tuesday of Every month
Our 1-day course teaches you the role of a passenger assistant.
Most Local Authority tenders request that Passenger assistants sit this course. Certificate received upon completion. You receive the CTA MiDAS and PATS folder to keep for you to refer to whenever required.
Block bookings available.
On site training at BATS depot or training at your place of work is available upon request.
Please contact the office for information on training at your place of work (Minimum of 6 trainees).
Ensure your team are confident and qualified passenger Assistants. Book today.
COSTING PATS TRAINING:
- Members: £55.00
- Non members: £85.00
One day course.
Tea and coffee is provided at our training centre.
There is a canteen on site for lunch requirements.
All attendees receive a MiDAS training manual and certificate upon success.
BOOK YOUR COURSE NOW!
For specific information about MiDAS & PATS Training, please e-mail: email@example.com or give us a call on 01322311333.
You are also welcome to make a direct enquiry, or provide feedback, using our contact page.
“I have attended the MiDAS course at BATS where I learnt valuable knowledge and information on driving and securing vulnerable people in their seats and in wheelchairs on their vehicles. The course was very informative and professional.”
Brian Haig – MiDAS certificate holder